Monday, April 30, 2012

Meatless Monday: Homemade Wheat Thins



 Obviously everyday is meatless for us but I thought that once I week I would share a recipe that we've made. Now that I'm back working I tend to not want to cook anything once I get home. So I am hoping that this will help me to stay motivated so we eat something besides tuna fish and burritos :) I'm trying to cook something new at least once a week, I'll share what I make with you, good or bad! Maybe you'll be inspired to go meatless on Monday's as well ;)


I LOVE Wheat Thins. They are my favorite cracker, I like them with cheese, tuna fish, hummus, everything! The recipe for the homemade version seemed easy enough, and I had all the ingredients so I thought that I'd give it a go and see how they turned out. I was way surprised at how good they are. They taste just as good, if not better than the processed kind. Seriously, if you're a fan you should give these a try!

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/4 cups 100% whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus extra for sprinkling on
  • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp water (or a tiny bit more if dough is too dry)
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
 
Directions: 

1. Preheat oven to 400 F.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a non-stick mat.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, paprika, salt).

3. With a pastry blender (or two forks if you don't have one!), cut in the butter into the flour mixture until crumbly. Now mix together the water and vanilla and then pour into the flour and butter mixture. Stir this mixture until it comes together. I got in there with my hands and really squeezed the dough to help it come together. If it appears dry add a touch of water, but you don’t want it sticky.

4. Split the dough in half. On a floured surface or on a non-stick mat, roll out one half of the dough very thin (1/16th inch). Using a pizza cutter, cut into whatever shape you desire. Using a spatula, place the crackers on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat as necessary. Sprinkle with more salt and sesame seeds if desired.

5. Bake for 8-10 minutes, watching closely. Half way through baking rotate the pan to ensure even baking. My crackers took 8 minutes. Be careful because they burn quickly. Cool completely. Makes about 64 crackers for this full recipe. Store in an air-tight container.

Do you have a favorite homemade version of something that's just as good as the original?


No comments:

Post a Comment