Phew! It was a whirlwind of a weekend! We headed out on the five hour drive to Arches National Park on Friday morning, after gorging ourselves on Kneaders French toast of course. The drive was long and hot and windy in our car without any A/C but we made it!
The weekend was full of destroying precious dirt, flashing teenage boys, cooking on the car's engine, and getting lost on the way home (on the one road that goes south). We survived despite forgetting pillows, very cold nights, and the threat of being eaten by wolves, cougars, and bears (oh my!). There are many stories and pictures on the way!
There were a few challenges on our meatless camping trip:
- No meat, duh! I don't know about you but when I camp I eat hot dogs. If we decide to get really fancy we eat hamburgers. There is also a lot of beef jerky involved.
- While the fire ban has been lifted around here it is still in full force up north. No fire makes it slightly difficult to cook anything.
First camping trip without our beloved hot dogs and jerky was a success!
For this Meatless Monday I thought I would share Chad's new favorite dinner with you! We definitley go through eating spurts and get stuck on one food for a while, and this is the latest. Now before anyone decides to lecture me on what a vegetarian is let me explain ourselves :)
Obviously if you've been following along you know that we do eat fish. So I guess technically we are called pescatarians. Thanks Tay! ;) Fish are full of healthiness so we add them into our diet.
Ok, ok, on to the recipe! I found this on pinterest a while ago and we've loved it ever since. I bought the frozen tilapia fillets at Costco and thought I would try new recipes on all of them. Wrooong. We found this recipe and haven't tried anything since! Ha!
So give it a try, it's cheesy and delicious and goes great with a side of pasta, twice baked potato, salad, or garlicy green beans. We've tried it with the Walmart frozen tilapia fillets but found those to be smaller and much more fishy. So if "fishy" isn't your thing, is it really anyones?, try the frozen tilapia from Costco!
- 2 lbs tilapia fillets (orange roughy, cod or red snapper can be substituted)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onion
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- black pepper
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- Panko bread crumbs
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil (hello easy cleanup!). Lie your fillets down flat and brush the top with lemon juice.
2. Bake the fish for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile mix together the remaining ingredients, except Panko. Spread this cheese mixture on top. Sprinkle top with as much panko as you like and continue cooking for 5 more minutes. Turn your oven on broil for the last minute just to get the breadcrumbs toasty and crunchy! Keep an eye on them so they don't burn though!