Monday, May 20, 2013

Adventures in Rock Climbing

It was a rock climbing weekend for us!

Chad fell for the first time while lead climbing. Instead of having the rope secured at the top of the rock, he clips in along certain points as he climbs. About 3/4 of the way up he realized he was stuck. The fun part, he was going to have to fall the distance to where he was last secured in... plus that distance again because of the length of rope. I'm sure you can imagine how excited I was when he announced he was going to have to fall.

britta surprised 100 <em>Community</em> Gifs

I pulled the rope in tight and then he let go.


There was slightly more force behind this fall then when he's secured up at the top, and I was NOT ready for it. He pulled me up and I smashed into a boulder landing on my knees... BUT I was still holding onto that rope for dear life. I looked up and saw Chad dangling a couple feet up from the ground. Bam! Life saved. Your welcome.

Sunday we went out again. Chad was determined to have me climb to the top of something. If you remember, I usually freak out about 10ish feet off the ground and plead to come down. What can I say, dangling on the side of a rock with the wind whipping past me and my whole body weight supported by my numb toes ain't normally my idea of a good time. No matter how far off the ground.

To be honest though, I really wanted to be able to make it to the top.

Until I started climbing that is.

I really want to be able to make it to the top until I'm about halfway and then I don't care about anything except standing on the ground again.

About halfway up is when I had a meltdown. Crying and shaking and scared. It was pathetic guys. I had climbed that far before and I really don't know why I had to freak out so bad.


There were multiple times I tried to convince Chad that I couldn't do it. I needed to be let down. It just wasn't going to happen. But you know what? I finally freaking did. It may not have been pretty, or graceful or tear-free. But I made it to the freaking top!!!

cool abeds dance 100 <em>Community</em> Gifs

No comments:

Post a Comment